To me, this is one of the best books you could ever read. And it was the first one I read this year. (2018)
But I didn’t felt that way initially. At first, I wanted to start my year off reading something practical and ‘more relevant’ like a business book rather than a one that, – judging based on its title – seems like a book for socially awkward nerds. But little did I know, this book would’ve changed the way I approach, talk, and look at people. (In a good way)
Our lives are surrounded by people and so, learning to manage and understand others is an important skill to have. Therefore, in actual fact, this book is for everyone. From socially awkward nerds, to entrepreneurs, to students.
In this blog post, I will share some of the main points based on the notes that I’ve taken for myself and I hope it will provide some value to you.
MY NOTES & SUMMARY FROM “HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE”:
1. DO NOT CRITICISE, CONDEMN AND COMPLAIN ABOUT OTHERS. BUT SPEAK GOOD OF PEOPLE
2. WHEN PERSUADING PEOPLE, EMPHASIZE WHAT THEIR CAN BENEFIT. (PROVIDE VALUE TO THEM NOT JUST YOURSELF)
3. SHOW GENUINE INTEREST IN OTHER PEOPLE. (PEOPLE ENJOY TALKING ABOUT THEMSELVES)
4. PEOPLE LIKE TO FEEL IMPORTANT – MAKE THEM FEEL IMPORTANT.
5. TAKE OTHER PEOPLE’S INTEREST INTO CONSIDERATION.
6. BE A GOOD LISTENER.
7. SMILE MORE. 🙂
8. REMEMBER PEOPLE’S NAMES. THEIR NAMES ARE IMPORTANT TO THEM.
9. TRY TO AVOID ARGUMENTS.
10. HAVE SOME COURTESY E.G. “SORRY TO TROUBLE YOU…”
11. IF YOU’RE WRONG, ADMIT IT QUICKLY AND EMPHATICALLY.
12. GET PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THEIR OWN ACHIEVEMENTS. THEY ENJOY IT MORE THAN LISTENING TO YOURS.
13. PEOPLE DISLIKE FEELING LIKE YOU’RE SELLING TO THEM. MAKE THEM FEEL LIKE THEY’RE MAKING THEIR OWN DECISION.
14. SYMPATHISE AND SEE FROM OTHER PEOPLE’S POINT OF VIEW.
15. CONSIDER OTHER’S IDEAS AND FEELINGS SO CONVERSATIONS AND COOPERATIVENESS IS ACHIEVED. THIS WILL ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO BE OPEN TO YOUR IDEAS AS WELL.
16. APPEAL TO THE NOBLER MOTIVES OF OTHER PEOPLE.
17. DRAMATISE YOUR IDEAS.
18. GIVE PEOPLE A REPUTATION TO LIVE UP TO.
19. BEGIN WITH PRAISE AND HONEST APPRECIATION BEFORE SAYING ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
20. SHARE YOUR MISTAKES BEFORE CRITICIZING OTHERS.
21. ASK QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF GIVING ORDERS.
22. USE ENCOURAGEMENT. MAKE FAULTS SEEM EASY TO CORRECT.
23. SINCERELY APPRECIATE OTHER PEOPLE.
Additionally, if you’re interested in getting this book, you can get it from:
BOOK DEPOSITORY (Physical)
Hope you guys got to learn something from this post. 🙂 #stayhustling
It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.